The MicroSoft Immersive Reader is a feature in Canvas that provides reading options for text content.
The Immersive Reader feature is a reading tool available in some areas within a WSU Canvas Course. Some key features of this tool include reading text content outload (e.g., text-to-speech or voiceover), text highlighting, word defining, and the ability to adjust the line and word spacing. Additionally, the user can enable a variety of other settings to increase text content readability.
Learn more about the Immersive Reader feature in Canvas
Where It Works:
It is important to note that the Microsoft Immersive Reader does not work across all areas of Canvas. Please see the list below to learn where Immersive Reader does and does not work.
- Home Page
- Course Schedule
Note for Students: Pages refers to content that is not an Assignment, Discussion, or Quiz. Typically, this is the content provided in Modules.
Does not work in:
- Discussions & Responses in discussions
- PDFs, or content embedded in an HTML page
How to Access:
The Immersive Reader feature can be found in the upper right corner of the Canvas course space.
Once the Immersive Reader is accessed, the page view will change to text-only, and settings and additional features can be adjusted. Within the new view, you will have the ability to:
- Have the text read aloud by selecting the Play button.
- Adjust the text size, spacing, font, and theme.
- Change the grammar options such as syllable identification and parts of speech.
- Set reading preferences like enabling Picture Dictionary, or setting translation preferences.
- Change voice settings like voice speed.
- Return to the original course page by selecting the Back button.
- Enable full-screen mode.
For a more in-depth look, visit either of the following:
- For Students: Additional Immersive Reader Instructions
- For Faculty: Additional Immersive Reader Instructions