Preparing the Canvas Grade book for Final Grade Submission involves 4 easy steps.
NOTE: Grade Roster must be created in myWSU. Only Final Grades can be synced.
- Make sure there is a numeric score for every single grade, even if that numeric score is a 0
- Excuse an assignment for a student
- Unmute all muted assignments
- Remove any assignments that you're not using this semester
- Exclude an assignment from the course's final grades
- Activate Final Letter Grade in Total Column
- If grades are actively being changed, instructors may temporarily remove the Final Grade column in Canvas from student view to reduce any confusion.
- This can be removed under Settings - Course Details - More Options - "Hide totals in student grades summary" checkbox - Update Course Details.
- Once grades are finalized be sure to uncheck this box and select "Update Grade Details" to return the Final Grade column.
Canvas Grade Sync Video (Covering the steps below):
Convert all ungraded assignments to a zero (0)
When submitting your grades from Canvas, ungraded items shown as dashes, will automatically be counted as zeros. This could change the totals from what you see in your Canvas Grade book considerably.
It's recommended that you enter zeros for students who do not turn in their work throughout the semester rather than just leaving them blank. That way, the running total for their final grade is accurate throughout the semester and they don't develop any unrealistic expectations about their final grade.
To view this option, navigate to "Grades" in the course navigation.
Treat Ungraded as 0: Is a view feature only. It does not actually convert ungraded assignments (dashes) to zeros.
To actually change ungraded assignments (dashes) to 0s, you will need to do one of the following:
Navigate to the Set Default Grade option for the assignment by 1) selecting the options icon in the assignment header row, then 2) select Set Default Grade.
In the Set Default Grade dialog box, 1) Enter zero as the grade value, then 2) select Set Default Grade.
Excuse an Assignment for a Student
You can use the Grade book to excuse a student from a graded assignment, discussion, or quiz. You can also excuse a student from a group assignment. Excused assignments are not calculated as part of a student's total grade.
In the Grade book cell, type EX followed by the Enter key. This is not case sensitive.
Post all Hidden Grades
Please make sure you post ALL hidden grades.
In Course Navigation, select the Grades link.
Open Assignment Menu
Any assignment with hidden grades is indicated by the Visibility icon .
Hover over the assignment column header and click the Options icon .
Select the options icon to reveal the Post Grades option.
Click the Post grades link.
Follow this same process for each column containing hidden grades within the gradebook.
Removing Assignments You Are Not Using
You can either unpublish, delete or exclude any assignment you are not going to use and/or do not want to contribute toward final grade calculation.
To unpublish, open the Assignments page in your course and click on the green circle with a check mark. The circle will turn gray with a slash. Now it is unpublished and removed from grade book calculations. Note: you will not be able to unpublish assignments with student submissions.
To delete the assignment, click on the "more options" icon next to the green circle and select "Delete." Note: this will delete any student submissions and feedback you have added.
To exclude an assignment from the course's final grades, click "more options" next to the green circle and select "Edit". On the resulting menu select "More Options" to view the checkbox displayed below. Note: this feature allows you to provide feedback without the assignment counting toward Grade book calculations. Like other check boxes, it can be toggled on and off.
Activate Final Letter Grade in Total Column and Set Grading Scheme
The myWSU Grade Roster only accepts FINAL letter grades.
To activate letter grades, 1) go to your course Settings page and 2) select the course details tab.
1) Select the checkbox next to Grading Scheme "Enable course grading scheme", then select "Manage All Grading Schemes" to configure the appropriate grading scheme for the course.
2) Select the "Update Course Details" button at the bottom of the page.
Please note myWSU does not accept A+ or D- grades.
If you check your grade book, you will see the final letter grades next to the percentages in the Total column.
To confirm the grades, export the grades as a CSV file from the "Actions" menu in the Gradebook.
In the resulting CSV file the column labeled "Final Score" will be loaded into myWSU. This column is not displayed in the Canvas interface.